TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) – A traveling carnival at which a 15-month old girl suffered critical injuries during a stop in Wichita, is now in Topeka. The girl was hurt when she touched a fence that had become electrified.
Evans United Shows is set to open the carnival on Thursday, and go through the 28th.
A manager at Evans United Shows Carnival declined to comment with 13 NEWS and referred us to their corporate office. We called, and an automated message said the mail box was full.
During the carnival’s stop in Wichita Friday, 15-month old Pressley was shocked when she touched a fence near the bounce house. Westar reported 290 volts of electricity was going through the metal fencing when she touched it.
Pressley’s grandparents recall what happened, “She went to touch it, and all of a sudden her head went back, and her eyes rolled back, and her mom said, ‘Is she ok?’ They went to get her from the fence, and she just went limp.”
Evans, which is based out of Missouri, began setting up this week at the Kansas Expocentre for a Thursday opening. SMG, which manages the facility for the county, said it has a good working relationship with Evans.
“Our records with Evan’s has been clean,” said H.R. Cook, Regional General Manager for SMG. “They’ve always run a very reputable show. They stand by their excellent safety record. It’s been family owned and operated for 70 years.”
The company said the carnival is inspected weekly. The Kansas Department of Labor keeps track of documents, but does not inspect the carnivals. Missouri records show Evans’ permit is up to date, and it has never been investigated for an accident.
But, the grandparents say they want to make sure this doesn’t happen again, “We don’t want any other children to get hurt, and that baby right now is laying in that bed unresponsive when she was a perfectly healthy baby. She just wanted to have fun,”
According to the grandparents, the little girl is still in critical condition at the hospital.
SMG says they will do a walk-through with Evens before the carnival opens.