You are here

Toddler dies after being shocked by fence at Wichita carnival

WICHITA, Kan. (WIBW/KWCH) — The 15-month-old girl who touched an electrified fence at a Wichita carnival over the weekend has passed away.

13 NEWS’ sister station KWCH confirmed the sad news of Pressley Baronek’s passing with Wesley Medical Center. Her family released the following statement Friday morning:

“Our Pressley passed away on Wednesday afternoon. We have made the difficult decision to donate her organs so that other patients in need of transplants no longer have to suffer through their illnesses and that her death was not in vain. We request that you respect our privacy during this difficult time.”
Shaun and Rheannon Bartonek

During the carnival’s stop in Wichita Friday, 15-month old Pressley was shocked when she touched a fence near the bounce house. Westar reported 290 volts of electricity was going through the metal fencing when she touched it. For reference, A standard house outlet has 110 volts, a washer dryer plug has 220 volts.

Master Electrician Jeff Kretchmar told KWCH a wire most likely had a break in it, so electricity came out of it, charging the fence.

The carnival, Evans United Shows, has since moved to Topeka. It opened in the Capital City on Thursday and will remain in town until the 28th.

A manager at Evans United Shows Carnival declined to comment with 13 NEWS on Wednesday and referred us to their corporate office. We called, and an automated message said the mail box was full. According to records in Missouri, Evans’ permit is up to date, and it has never been investigated for an accident.

SMG says they will do a walk-through with Evens before the carnival opens.

Source

Related posts

Leave a Comment