A former Segdoune carnival princess will perform this year’s crowning ceremony.
Liz Shirley, who was princess royal back in 1950, is looking forward to her special role, crowning Alix Martin, this Saturday, May 27.
Professional singer Liz said: “I am delighted to take part in the celebrations.”
Liz will also be entertaining on stage as part of the day’s packed programme. She will be joined by other past Royal Party participants in the parade.
Promoting Kilwinning will be having a special afternoon tea for them to get together and have a chat about their memories of their special day.
Joe Broussard, chair for Promoting Kilwinning, said: “We have had a very good response to our plans for the big day. The parade will be a bit longer than last year.
“As always, we hope there is good weather, but Kilwinning loves a parade and carnival and
never lets us down, rain or shine.”
- 11am: Welcome and start of entertainment on main stage; stalls open on Main Street; fun fair rides open on Main Street and Woodwynd Car park
- 12.30pm: Segdoune Royal Parade leaves Kilwinning Academy Car park and travels up Dalry Road turning left onto Howgate, turning left onto Lauchlan Way, turning right onto Church Street and then right up the Main Street to the stage
- 1.15pm – Approx arrival of Royal party and parade at main stage
- 1.30pm – Crowning of Alix Martin as Segdoune Queen 2017 by Elizabeth Shirley – Royal princess for 1950
- 2pm – Entertainment on stage, stalls and fun fair
- 3pm – Afternoon tea for the Royals, Erskine Hall
- 4pm – Entertainment on stage finishes, stalls and small children’s rides on Main Street finish
- 9pm – Fun fair ends
Joe added: “Special souvenir programmes for the day will be given to all Kilwinning pupils and they will also be available from most Main Street shops.
“Some traders will be celebrating our 50th anniversary crowning by having special window displays – be sure to check them out.”
The evening ceilidh has been cancelled.